Please turn your device to landscape view for wide tables like those below.
John B. Floyd
Member From: 1847 - 1856
- Birth Date: June 1, 1806 Birth Place:Smithfield Plantation, Montgomery County, VA
- Death Date: August 26, 1863
- Gender: Male Race: Caucasian
- Spouse: Sally Buchanan Preston
- Children: none
- Education: South Carolina College
- Military Service: Appointed Brigadier General in Confederate Army - May, 1861 Command of Confederate Army of the Kanawha - August, 1861 Dismissed from Confederate Army by President Davis - March, 1862 Appointed a Major General of the Virginia Militia
- Occupation/Profession: lawyer
Additional Info Links:
- Additional Info: Son of John Floyd (1783 - 1837) who was served in the U.S. Congress 1817 - 1829 & was Governor of Virginia 1830 - 1834
1848-1849 Assembly-Samuel E. Goodson replaced John B. Floyd, who had been elected governor.
- Other Notable Service and/or Elected Offices:
Governor of Virginia - 1849 - 1852
U.S. Secretary of War - Adminstration of James Buchanan - 1857 - 1860
|1847-1848||Washington||Democrat||Courts of Justice
Roads and Internal Navigation
|1848-1849||Washington||Democrat||Roads and Internal Navigation (Chair)
Courts of Justice
|1855-1856||Washington||Democrat||Roads and Internal Navigation (Chair)
*The information within this interactive and searchable application has been researched extensively by the House Clerk’s Office. As with any historical records of this age and breadth, there may be discrepancies and/or inconsistencies within records obtained from a variety of credible sources. Any feedback is encouraged at firstname.lastname@example.org.
These options allow users to search the contents of historical records based on various criteria for House members.