Please turn your device to landscape view for wide tables like those below.
James Albert English
Member From: 1865 - 1867
- Birth Date: October 8, 1816 Birth Place:Warrenton, Fauquier County, Virginia
- Death Date: July 26, 1868
- Gender: Male Race: Caucasian
- Spouse: Maria Seabury Baldwin
- Children: Elizabeth Matilda [McVeigh]; Emily Howe; Janet Baldwin [Kelley]; Mary Inez [Baker]; Horace Lycurgus; Charles Albert; William H.; Edwin; Florence Seabury [Coleman]
- Military Service: Captain, Warrenton Guards (militia) before 1848
- Occupation/Profession: Hardware Merchant; Alexandria City Auditor
- Additional Info: Whig, later Know-Nothing, later Constitutional Unionist, elected in May 1865 to the House (just after the end of the war and the end of the Federal occupation of Alexandria) by the People’s Ticket that supported men who were natives of Virginia, older residents, and conservative in their views. Two years later the U.S. Military took over control of Alexandria again during Reconstruction.
|1865-1867||Alexandria||Labor and the Poor (1866-1867)
Manufactures and Mechanic Arts (1866-1867)
Roads and Internal Navigation
Trade and the Mechanic Arts (1865-1866)
*The information within this interactive and searchable application has been researched extensively by the House Clerk’s Office. As with any historical records of this age and breadth, there may be discrepancies and/or inconsistencies within records obtained from a variety of credible sources. Any feedback is encouraged at firstname.lastname@example.org.
These options allow users to search the contents of historical records based on various criteria for House members.