Please turn your device to landscape view for wide tables like those below.
Henry Clay Allen
Member From: 1875 - 1879
- Birth Date: March 19, 1838 Birth Place:Beaver Dam, Botetourt County, Virginia
- Death Date: October 31, 1889
- Gender: Male Race: Caucasian
- Spouse: Julia McKay Gatewood
- Military Service:
- Bio: Born at Beaver Dam, Botetourt County, Va., March 19, 1838. Died in Roanoke, Va., October 31, 1889. Buried in Woodstock, Shenandoah County, Va. Henry Clay Allen of Shenandoah County was the son of John James and Mary Payne (Jackson) Allen. He attended the University of Virginia, and studied law in his father”s office. He served in the Confederate Army and was at Gettysburg. He was elected county judge of Shenandoah County, April 7, 1870; member of the House of Delegates, 187579; and U. S. District Attorney during President Grover Cleveland”s administration, He married, January 24, 1867, Julia McKay Gatewood, daughter of John and Emily (Bare) Gatewood of Shenandoah County.
While he was Speaker of the House, the Clerk was JOHN BELL BIGGER.
- Other Notable Service and/or Elected Offices: Speaker of the House - 1877 - 1879
|1875-1877||Shenandoah||Democrat||Courts of Justice
Propositions and Greivances
|1877-1879||Shenandoah||Democrat||Speaker of the House||Rules (Chair)
*The information within this interactive and searchable application has been researched extensively by the House Clerk’s Office. As with any historical records of this age and breadth, there may be discrepancies and/or inconsistencies within records obtained from a variety of credible sources. Any feedback is encouraged at email@example.com.
These options allow users to search the contents of historical records based on various criteria for House members.