Please turn your device to landscape view for wide tables like those below.
Charles Edward Stuart
Member From: 1881 - 1887
- Birth Date: May 18, 1850 Birth Place:"Panorama", King George County, Virginia
- Death Date: April 16, 1889
- Gender: Male Race: Caucasian
- Spouse: Ruth Yeaton
- Military Service:
- Bio: Born at “Panorama”, King George County, Va., May 18, 1850. Died in Alexandria, Va., April 16, 1889. Buried in the Presbyterian Cemetery, Alexandria, Va. Charles E. Stuart of Alexandria City and County was the son of Charles E. and Roberta (Lomax) Stuart. His father graduated in law at the University of Virginia in 1812. Speaker Stuart was also a lawyer. He was a member of the House of Delegates, 1881-87; and was elected city judge for Alexandria, January 18, 1888. He married, October 11, 1876, Ruth Yeaton, daughter of William Chauncey and Mary Frances (duVal) Yeaton of Alexandria. Mrs. Yeaton was a granddaughter of judge Gabriel duVal, Comptroller of the Treasury of the United States and Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.
While he was Speaker of the House, the Clerk was JOHN BELL BIGGER.
- Other Notable Service and/or Elected Offices: Speaker of the House - 1883 - 1887
|1881-1882||Alexandria City and Alexandria County||Funder||Banks, Currency and Commerce
Officers and Offices at the Capitol
|1883-1884||Alexandria City and Alexandria County||Funder||Speaker of the House||Rules (Chair)
|1885-1887||Alexandria City and Alexandria County||Democrat||Speaker of the House|
*The information within this interactive and searchable application has been researched extensively by the House Clerk’s Office. As with any historical records of this age and breadth, there may be discrepancies and/or inconsistencies within records obtained from a variety of credible sources. Any feedback is encouraged at firstname.lastname@example.org.
These options allow users to search the contents of historical records based on various criteria for House members.