Please turn your device to landscape view for wide tables like those below.
John H. Robinson
Member From: 1887 - 1888
- Birth Date: 1857 Birth Place:Gloucester County, Virginia
- Death Date: 1932
- Gender: Male Race: African American
- Spouse: Emily M. Johns, Martha Johns
- Children: 17 children
- Education: Hampton Normal and Agricultural Insitute (Hampton University) - Graduated 1876
- Military Service:
- Occupation/Profession: Politician, Effingham House Tavern Operator (Cumberland County)
Additional Info Links:
Bio from Virginia's Martin Luther King Jr. Commission
Encyclopedia Virginia Biography
- Bio: John H. Robinson, born reportedly into slavery in Gloucester County, was a member of the House of Delegates from 1887 to 1888. He graduated from Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute (later Hampton University) and went on to teach school and practice law. In his term as a member of the House of Delegates, he was particularly focused on issues with relevance to his district comprising the counties of Elizabeth City, James City, Warwick, and York, and the city of Williamsburg. Even after his retirement from politics and teaching he continued working with jobs in banking and life insurance and remained an active member of the Hampton community. Robinson died of pneumonia in his home in Hampton on December 6, 1932.
|1887-1888||Elizabeth City, Warwick, James City and York||Republican||Banks, Currency and Commerce
Chesapeake and Its Tributaries
*The information within this interactive and searchable application has been researched extensively by the House Clerk’s Office. As with any historical records of this age and breadth, there may be discrepancies and/or inconsistencies within records obtained from a variety of credible sources. Any feedback is encouraged at email@example.com.
These options allow users to search the contents of historical records based on various criteria for House members.