Please turn your device to landscape view for wide tables like those below.
Member From: 1881 - 1882
- Birth Date: 1851 Birth Place:Brunswick County, Virginia
- Death Date: Unknown
- Gender: Male Race: African American
- Spouse: Mary Ann Ryland (m. January 27, 1869)
- Education: Wayland Seminary (Washington, DC)
- Military Service:
- Occupation/Profession: Minister
Additional Info Links:
Bio from Virginia's Martin Luther King Jr. Commission
- Bio: Guy Powell, a minister, was born a slave in 1851 in Brunswick County, the son of Milton and Pythena Powell. He was educated at Wayland Seminary in Washington, D.C. He became a property owner and, in 1879, he and his brother bought 217 acres. In 1881, he bought the half-interest in the land from his brother. Mr. Powell represented Brunswick County in the Virginia House of Delegates from 1881 to 1882. He also served in the Senate of Virginia, representing Nottoway, Lunenburg, and Brunswick Counties from 1875 to 1879. For a number of years he served as the pastor of a Baptist church in Brunswick County and spent the last years of his life in Franklin. The date of his death is unknown.
- Other Notable Service and/or Elected Offices: Senate of Virginia (1875-1879)
|1881-1882||Brunswick||Republican||Federal Relations and Resolutions
Propositions and Greivances
*The information within this interactive and searchable application has been researched extensively by the House Clerk’s Office. As with any historical records of this age and breadth, there may be discrepancies and/or inconsistencies within records obtained from a variety of credible sources. Any feedback is encouraged at email@example.com.
These options allow users to search the contents of historical records based on various criteria for House members.