Please turn your device to landscape view for wide tables like those below.
William W. Evans
Member From: 1887 - 1888
- Birth Date: 1860 Birth Place:Dinwiddie County, Virginia
- Death Date: November 16, 1892
- Gender: Male Race: African American
- Education: Newspaper Editor/Lawyer
- Military Service:
Additional Info Links:
Bio from Encyclopedia Virginia
- Additional Info: William W. Evans was born a slave ca. 1860 in Dinwiddie County. The son of Joseph P. and Josephine Evans, William Evans attended school in Petersburg and worked as a letter carrier and possibly a barber early in his career. By 1887 he had become editor of a Republican newspaper that advocated improvements in the political and material lives of African Americans. He obtained a law license in 1888. He represented Petersburg in the Virginia House of Delegates from 1887 to 1888. He died in 1892.
|1887-1888||Petersburg||Republican||Militia and Police
Officers and Offices at the Capitol
*The information within this interactive and searchable application has been researched extensively by the House Clerk’s Office. As with any historical records of this age and breadth, there may be discrepancies and/or inconsistencies within records obtained from a variety of credible sources. Any feedback is encouraged at email@example.com.
These options allow users to search the contents of historical records based on various criteria for House members.