Please turn your device to landscape view for wide tables like those below.
Amos A. Dodson
Member From: 1883 - 1884
- Birth Date: April 10, 1856 Birth Place:Mecklenberg County, Virginia
- Death Date: December 26, 1888
- Gender: Male Race: African American
- Spouse: Sylvia J. Mason (m. November 29, 1888)
- Military Service:
Additional Info Links:
Bio from Encyclopedia Virginia
- Additional Info: Amos A. Dodson was born a slave in Mecklenburg County in 1856. He worked as a farmer, deputy collector with the Internal Revenue Service, and teacher. The son of a blacksmith, Mr. Dodson attended school. He was a born orator and was active in politics. He represented Mecklenburg County in the Virginia House of Delegates from 1883 to 1884. He moved to Knoxville, Tennessee, where he became a partner in an undertaking business and through this owned a coffin manufactory. He died there in 1888.
Officers and Offices at the Capitol Committee
*The information within this interactive and searchable application has been researched extensively by the House Clerk’s Office. As with any historical records of this age and breadth, there may be discrepancies and/or inconsistencies within records obtained from a variety of credible sources. Any feedback is encouraged at firstname.lastname@example.org.
These options allow users to search the contents of historical records based on various criteria for House members.