Please turn your device to landscape view for wide tables like those below.
Richard Evers Evers Lee
Member From: 1790 - 1804
- Birth Date: 1753 Birth Place:Northumberland County, VA
- Death Date: June 8, 1814
- Gender: Male Race: Caucasian
- Spouse: Letty Kelly (m. January 16, 1778)
- Children: Colonel Arthur Lee (1779-1828), Norfolk.
Richard Henry Lee (1781-1815), Norfolk.
Major William Ludwell Lee (1788-1865), Baltimore, Maryland.
Lucy Herd Lee (1789-1852), Leesburg, Loudoun County.
Elizabeth "Eliza" Lee born 1794 Norfolk.
Jane Sydney Lee (1797-1855), Norfolk. Died from yellow fever.
- Military Service:
- Occupation/Profession: Attorney and Banker
- Additional Info: https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Jefferson/03-06-02-0304
- Bio: He was born around 1753 in Northumberland County VA. Married Letty Kelly in Lancaster County VA 16 January 1778. Her father was George Kelly who was mayor of Norfolk 2 times.
Richard Evers Lee swore an oath of allegiance in Lancaster County VA as an "attorney for the cause" in the Revolution and is listed as a DAR patriot.
He moved to Norfolk in 1783 and was appointed Commissioner in 1790 to establish the Bank of Virginia and Marine insurance in Norfolk. He was President of the Branch Bank of Norfolk from 1806 until his death in 1814.
He served as Mayor of Norfolk in 1807 for one year. He wrote a scathing letter to the British concerning the attack on the USS Chesapeake by the British ship The Leopard in 1807.
He owned two Wharves in Norfolk and several ships.
He was Chairman of Presidential Electors of Virginia in 1804.
He died June 8, 1814 in Norfolk.
Courts of Justice
*The information within this interactive and searchable application has been researched extensively by the House Clerk’s Office. As with any historical records of this age and breadth, there may be discrepancies and/or inconsistencies within records obtained from a variety of credible sources. Any feedback is encouraged at email@example.com.
These options allow users to search the contents of historical records based on various criteria for House members.