Please turn your device to landscape view for wide tables like those below.
James Madison Hite Beale
Member From: 1818 - 1819
- Birth Date: February 7, 1786 Birth Place:Mt Airy, Dunsmore County (later Shenandoah County), Virginia
- Death Date: August 2, 1866
- Gender: Male Race: Caucasian
- Spouse: Mary Casey Steenbergen (1790-1863, m. October 3, 1806)
- Children: Charles Taverner Beale; Elizabeth Ann Beale; Mary Caroline Beale; Katherine Maria Beale; James Beale; William S. Beale (1824-1850)
- Military Service:
- Occupation/Profession: agricultural pursuits
- Additional Info: His father, Taverner Beale, Jr. was a member of the House of Delegates during the 1782 Session(s) representing Shenandoah County
- Other Notable Service and/or Elected Offices:
• Ran for the U.S. House of Representatives six (6) times – won four(4), lost two(2)
• 1823 – age 37 - was one of five candidates in District 21. Beale ran as Democrat-Republican received 937 votes (33.49%) – LOST
• 1833 – age 47 - was one of three candidates in District 16.
o Ran as Jacksonian Democrat, received 1,638 votes (56.23%) – WON
o Served in 23rd Congress (1833-1835)
• 1835 – age 49 ran for re-election in District 16; one of two candidates
o Ran for re-election as a Jacksonian Democrat and received 1,885 votes (92.45%) – WON
o Served in 24th Congress (1835-1837)
Served as chairman of the Committee on Invalid Pensions
• 1841 – age 55 ran as one of four candidates in District 16.
o No party affiliation.
o Received 572 votes (19.52%) – LOST
• 1849 – age 63 - ran as one of two candidates in District 14.
o Ran as U.S. Democrat. Received 4,310 votes (51.29%) – WON
o Served in 31st Congress (1849-1851)
Served as chairman of the Committee on Expenditures on Public Buildings
• 1851 – age 65 - ran as one of two candidates in District 14.
o Ran as U.S. Democrat. Received 4,012 votes (58.78%) - WON
o Served in 32nd Congress (1851-1853)
Served as chairman of the Committee on Manufactures
• 1852 – age 66 - declined to be a candidate for renomination in 1852.
Roads and Internal Navigation
*The information within this interactive and searchable application has been researched extensively by the House Clerk’s Office. As with any historical records of this age and breadth, there may be discrepancies and/or inconsistencies within records obtained from a variety of credible sources. Any feedback is encouraged at email@example.com.
These options allow users to search the contents of historical records based on various criteria for House members.