Please turn your device to landscape view for wide tables like those below.
Member From: 1632 - 1655
- Birth Date: 1597 Birth Place:Pickthorn, Stottesdon, Shropshire, England
- Death Date: 1665
- Gender: Male Race: Caucasian
- Spouse: Temperance Bailey (1st wife) and Mary Aston (2nd wife), who was the daughter of one of his colleagues in the House of Burgesses and about 30 years younger than he was
- Children: Two sons by Temperance Bailey - Thomas and Richard (known as Richard the Elder)
By Mary Aston - Richard (the Younger), Elizabeth, John, William and Edward
- Military Service: Lt Colonel and Commander of the Henrico County militia
- Additional Info: Not present in March 1644, but was present when the Assembly convened in October.
Among his more prominent descendants are General Robert E. Lee and U.S. presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, George H. W. Bush, and George W. Bush.
By the time Richard Cocke died he was in possession of 10,916 acres of land spread over three sites named, ‘Bremo” (his home site), ‘Malvern Hill’ and ‘Curles’. He is also known to have owned property in present-day Surry County, Virginia where he first resided in the early 1630
- Other Notable Service and/or Elected Offices: Sheriff of Henrico (1655)
*The information within this interactive and searchable application has been researched extensively by the House Clerk’s Office. As with any historical records of this age and breadth, there may be discrepancies and/or inconsistencies within records obtained from a variety of credible sources. Any feedback is encouraged at firstname.lastname@example.org.
These options allow users to search the contents of historical records based on various criteria for House members.